Saturday, September 27, 2008
Now that fall has set in, it is time to perform some maintenance on yourself. Cleansing one's major bodily systems every three months is a great way to give your temple a tune-up. Here are some of my favorite tips:
1) Kick meat, sugar, bread, alcohol, nicotine, and refined foods for a week and increase your intake of fruits, veggies, and water. Eat your meals at fixed intervals.
2) Drink fresh juices daily over that 7 day period. Try "green lemonade" by juicing a head of romaine lettuce, 2 cups of raw spinach, 4 large carrots, 1 peeled lemon, 2 apples, and a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger root. Drink up!
3) If you perform no other exercise, get out and walk everyday. If you are really active, use your walks for relaxation and meditation. Time to unplug!
4) Take a yoga class. Get focused and center yourself.
5) Dry brush your body before showers to stimulate and cleanse your lymphatic system. Get a natural bristle bath brush and start with the soles of your feet avoiding "sensitive areas" and the face.
6) Choose a colon cleansing product and relieve yourself of old, built up toxic waste. Increase your fiber ("an apple a day...")and water intake.
7) Take a relaxing, detoxifying bath. Add a cup of Epsom salt, a cup of baking soda, and a few drops of your favorite essential oil to a hot bath and soak.
Check out some of my favorite books on cleansing for more great tips. Customize your cleansing regimen in time for winter.
1) The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs
2) Detox: Five Dozen Ways to Detoxify Your Body by Nadine Goodman
3) The Colon Health Handbook by Robert Gray
4) The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose
5) 21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox by Roni DeLuz, RN, ND
6) Juicing for Life by Cherie Calbom and Maureen Keane
More next time!